Wednesday, April 9, 2014

How I Came To K. C.

When I was a young boy I used to wonder if there was a next life or if death was the end of my existence. Sometimes while thinking about it I would become distracted by opportunities for fun with friends etc. but the issue would always come back to my mind. I looked for the answer by listening to music lyrics; reading books; talking to people about religion; etc. I had not really embarked on a serious study of different philosophies as I was still relatively young. One Sunday in 1978, when I was 16 years old, my older sister asked me to come with her, dad and step mom to the Hare Krishna temple in Potomac, Maryland. I didn't want to go, but my sister smiled and insisted, so I went.
Rupanuga prabhu at Prabhupada's lotus feet
After the first visit I didn't know what to make of it. The temple served a free vegetarian feast on Sundays. I had recently become a vegetarian and the feast was delicious. My dad also liked the feast so we went again. On my second or third visit I was listening to Bhagavad-gita class by Srila Rupanuga prabhu, an early disciple of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Rupanuga prabhu was making the point that the secular leaders of society are actually in ignorance of the fact that we are not our material bodies; we are eternal individual spirit souls each residing in a material body. And we are eternal servants of Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Somehow his words entered my heart and my faith awakened. I started reading Bhagavad-gita As It Is and my faith and understanding increased. So with the help of my sister and by the mercy of Rupanuga prabhu and Srila Prabhupada, I was fortunate enough to find the truth and begin devotional service to Krishna.                                                                                                     
With my sister circa 1965

No comments:

Post a Comment